Reduce WAL logging of INSERT SELECT

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Reduce WAL logging of INSERT SELECT
Date: 2011-08-04 19:50:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We currently have reduced WAL logging for wal_level = minimum for these
commands:

CREATE TABLE AS
CREATE INDEX
CLUSTER
COPY into tables that were created or truncated in the same
transaction

One thing we don't optimize is INSERT ... SELECT when the table is
created or truncated in the same transaction. Seems we could.

We optimize CREATE TABLE AS which is effectively SELECT ... INTO using a
different syntax. Is this a TODO?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com