BUG #6141: PG Admin's SQL editor can't handle large files

From: "michael" <mpapet(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6141: PG Admin's SQL editor can't handle large files
Date: 2011-08-02 23:07:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6141
Logged by: michael
Email address: mpapet(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0
Operating system: Windows
Details:

Hi,

I have a script writing an insert query to file. The file ends up being
about 82MB.

Step 1: launch the sql editor from pgAdmin
Step 2: File>open>myfile.sql

Shortly thereafter, an error message pops up,
"$path/$to/$my/$file/myfile.sql could not be opened because it contains
characters that could not be interpreted."

This always occurs on pgAdmin version 1.12.3(Apr 14 2011, rev:REL-1_12_3)

The workaround is to copy and paste the whole 80MB. It works, (the insert
query is correct in every way) but the editor is real, real slow.

I can open smaller size (20MB) insert queries just fine.

It might be an unusual request to open/edit 80MB files. If there's some
interest in tackling it, I can even upload sample data somewhere.

Let me know if you need anything else.