Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-06-23 06:41:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1) Today you can do a backup by just calling pg_start_backup('x'); copy
> the data directory and
> pg_stop_backup(); You do not need to use pg_basebackup to create a
> backup. The solution you are proposing would require pg_basebackup to be
> used to build backups from standby servers.

YES.

> 2) If I run pg_basebackup but do not specify '-x' then no pg_xlog
> segments are included in the output. The relevant pg_xlog segments are
> in the archive from the master. I can see situations where you are
> already copying the archive to the remote site that the new standby will
> be created in so you don't want to have to copy the pg_xlog segments
> twice over your network.

No, I don't matter because of the same behavior as 9.1.
Please see the part of "Before:" of the following answer.

> What Heikki is proposing will work both when you aren't using
> pg_basebackup (as long the output of pg_stop_backup() is somehow
> captured in a way that it can be read) and will also work with
> pg_basebackup when '-x' isn't specified.

I receive this mail, so I notice I do wrong recognition to what
Heikki is proposing.

my recognition:
Before:
* I thought Heikki proposes, "Execute SQL(pg_start_backup('x'); copy
the data directory and pg_stop_backup();) from the standby server
to the primary server".
-> I disliked this.
Now:
* Heikki is proposing both No using pg_basebackup and Not specify -x.
So,
* Use the output of pg_stop_backup().
* Don't use backup history file.
he thinks.

Right?

Jun Ishizuka
NTT Software Corporation
TEL:045-317-7018
E-Mail: ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp