Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date: 2011-06-07 18:22:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Before you arrived, it was quite normal to suggest tuning patches
> after feature freeze.

I haven't been around as long as some, but I think I've been around
longer than Robert, and I can say that I don't recall serious
performance patches, particularly ones around lock management and which
change a fair bit of good, generally being white-listed from feature
freeze or being pushed in after beta1.

Perhaps I've missed them or perhaps there's been a few exceptions that
I'm not remembering that make it look routine rather than an exception
basis. We might have tweaked a config variable or changed a #define
somewhere close to the end of a cycle, but I really don't put those into
the same category as this change.

Thanks,

Stephen