Re: SSI predicate locking on heap -- tuple or row?

From: Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSI predicate locking on heap -- tuple or row?
Date: 2011-06-02 21:37:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 01:01:05PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> If we're going to put this into the README-SSI as the proof of the
> validity of this optimization, I'd like to have a footnote pointing
> to a paper describing the "first commit in the cycle" aspect of a
> dangerous structure. Got any favorites, or should I fall back on a
> google search?

Hmm. I don't see any that state that in so many words, but it's an
obvious consequence of the proof of Theorem 2.1 in "Making Snapshot
Isolation Serializable" -- note that T3 is chosen to be the transaction
in the cycle with the earliest commit time.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports MIT CSAIL http://drkp.net/