Re: data import via COPY, Rules + Triggers

From: Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <postgresql3(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data import via COPY, Rules + Triggers
Date: 2011-05-07 09:15:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thank your for your reply, Sergey.
(By the way, I noticed you are not cc'ing/replying to the list.)

On Fri, 6 May 2011 01:45:19 +0300
sergey kapustin <kapustin(dot)sergey(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>INSERT ... RETURNING will not work in rules i think. You cannot nest
>INSERTs and its not possible to use variables.

And rules are not actioned by the COPY command (which I use to populate
the tables) whereas triggers are.

>you have
>to use conditional statements because you don't want to insert into
>manager table every time you insert new athlete.

That has been taking care of by an insert/update trigger on manager,
which updates a manager record, if necessary, where it exists already.