BUG #6002: French character show garbled

From: "Savita" <savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6002: French character show garbled
Date: 2011-05-02 16:33:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6002
Logged by: Savita
Email address: savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5
Operating system: AIX
Details:

Hi

We are facing a problem while inserting a Latin character (é) into
Postgresql. We are using postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc3.jar to connect to the PSQL
and trying to insert the following statement: "Vérification" through JDBC.
Once inserted we went back to PSQL and ran the select query and the result
is different: Vérification. Here the character é is being replaced by
é.

Could any one please help us in resolving this problem as we are stuck with
this?

Note: We have even tried this on Database with encoding SQL_ASCII and UTF8
as well.

Thanks
Savita