configuration parameter descriptions

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: configuration parameter descriptions
Date: 2011-04-27 15:48:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'd like to make a general suggestion on configuration parameter
documentation. I'd like to see a high level entry as to whether the
parameter can be changed on the fly or not. I think the Oracle docs refer
to this as static/dynamic.

Currently, dynamic parameters, those that can be changed in a running
cluster, can be identified by the fact that no statement is made. This
can be confusing.

An example of the "static" entry follows:

listen_addresses (string)

parmater description .........
This parameter can only be set at server start.

This might be communicated with something like:

listen_addresses (string) /static

The current entry for maintenance_work_mem looks like this:

maintenance_work_mem (integer)

Specifies the maximum amount of memory...

which might look something like this:

maintenance_work_mem (integer) /dynamic

Specifies the maximum amount of memory

I'd be willing to work on this adaptation if you need help.
I'd need some introduction to your text management.

Thanks,
Ray