Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>, "Henry C(dot)" <henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSDs with Postgresql?
Date: 2011-04-14 14:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general

At 06:07 PM 4/14/2011, Radosław Smogura wrote:

>One thing you should care about is such called
>write endurance - number of writes to one memory
>region before it will be destroyed - if your SSD
>driver do not have transparent allocation, then
>you may destroy it really fast, because write of
>each "block" will be in same memory segment,
>clog/xlog may be failed with 10k-100k writes.
>But if your SSD has transparent allocation, then
>internal controller will count your writes to
>given memory cell, and when lifetime of this
>cell will be at the end, it will "associate"
>block with different cell. With transparent
>allocation, You may sometimes do not fear if
>system uses journaling, you store logs there on
>any kind of often updatable data. You may calculate life time of your SSD with:
>WritesToDestroyCells = "write_endurance" * "disk_size"
>AvgLifeTime = WritesToDestroyCells / writes_per_sec
>
>Those are high numbers, even with simply disks
>as 10.000 * 60GB, means you need to send 600TB
>of data to one SSD (not completely true, as you
>can't send one byte, but full blocks) . Ofc, In
>order to extend life time of SSD you should
>provide file systems cache, or SSD with cache, as well turn off FS journaling.

I'm not an expert on SSDs, but I believe modern
SSDs are supposed to automatically spread the
writes across the entire disk where possible -
even to the extent of moving already written stuff.

So if the drives are full or near full, the
tradeoff is between lower performance (because
you have to keep moving stuff about) or lower
lifespan (one area gets overused).

If the drives are mostly empty the SSD's
controller has an easier job - it doesn't have to move as much data around.

Regards,
Link.