Re: optimalization

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: optimalization
Date: 2011-02-28 18:32:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

croolyc <croolists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi!
> can you help me with performance optimization
> on my machine I have 8 databases with ca. 1-2GB

Performace optimization depends on the workload...
Is that a dedicated server, only for PostgreSQL? I assume it.

> memory: 8GB (4*2GB ecc ram)

Okay, as a first try, set shared_buffers to 2 GByte, and increase
work_mem up to, maybe, 20 MByte.

You can (and should) set log_min_duration_statement, maybe to 1000
(1000ms), and observe the log. Read our docu about EXPLAIN, and analyse
long-running queries with EXPLAIN (ANALYSE).

And again, performance tuning depends on the real workload on the
server, it's hard to give you a recipe for all use-cases.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°