Re: Ambiguous index entry for Privileges

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ambiguous index entry for Privileges
Date: 2011-02-18 18:48:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> > On 12 August 2010 00:05, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I noticed that there are 2 linked entries for "Privileges":
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/bookindex.html#AEN128982
> >>
> >> While they both go to different pages (with admittedly very
> >> similar content), those pages are both entitled "Privileges" so
> >> it's unclear from the index which page you'll end up at. Can we
> >> rename one of those pages to clarify as it looks weird in the
> >
> > Does anyone have an opinion on this?
>
> Sure -- I think the page at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/privileges.html (in
> "Chapter 20. Database Roles and Privileges" should be more
> conceptual rather than a subset of the other page. Rather than
> explaining how to use GRANT and REVOKE to change privileges, it
> should give an overview of privileges and discuss what is allowed by
> each particular privilege. It could link to the other page, so
> there would be one place to keep up-to-date on how to grant and
> revoke privileges.
>
> I think the page at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html (in "Chapter
> 5. Data Definition") should be renamed to something more like
> "Modifying Privileges" or "Granting and Revoking Privileges" (or
> something to that effect). It might make sense to have its entry in
> the index be a secondary entry under privilege, with some similar
> qualification.

I went even farther. I think there is no need to discuss object
permissions in the database roles chapter. We already link to the DDL
section, so I just changed that to link specifically to the DDL
privileges section, and made that DDL privileges section be a
super-set of the two old sections.

Patch attached.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size