Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)debian(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, jd <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-16 17:29:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> We have code that exists in both psql and the backend (cf src/port/)
> >> so I'm not sure this really will satisfy the more rabid GPL partisans.
> >> And this whole discussion is about satisfying the most rabid of them,
> >> remember. I don't really think that anything other than "relicense all
> >> of Postgres as GPL" will make them happy.
>
> > Which, by the way, *no one* has the authority to do.
>
> Right. So the long term solution in my mind is to migrate away from
> readline and towards libedit. I'm just not sufficiently worried about
> this to put any of my own cycles into making libedit good enough.

Agreed. If we can create a database, someone can get libedit to work
100%! There is no excuse for this not being done, seeing that
libreadline has been (viral) GPL forever and has changed APIs regularly
and broken things for us. Even going with GNUTLS does not help us with
that.

Can someone take ownership of this, get involved with the libedit folks,
get Debian to use their fixes, and solve this problem for us?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com