Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE
Date: 2010-12-29 17:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:16:23AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> > ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE always rewrites the table heap and its indexes.  In some
> > cases, we can determine that doing so is unhelpful, and that the conversion
> > shall always succeed:
> > I wish to replace table rewrites with table verification scans where possible,
> > then skip those verification scans where possible.
> This has been discussed before; have you read the previous threads?

It would help a lot if, in future, you include references to the

Saying, in effect, "search the archives with our not-super-great
search technology using keywords you didn't think of," comes off as
pretty dismissive if not downright hostile.

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
iCal: webcal://

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to Postgres: