Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-24 15:52:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> I actually think that the phrase "this has been discussed before and
> rejected" should be permanently removed from our list of excuses for
> rejecting a patch. Or if we must use that excuse, then I think a link
> to the relevant discussion is a must, and the relevant discussion had
> better reflect the fact that $TOPIC was in fact rejected. It seems to
> me that in at least 50% of cases, someone comes back and says one of
> the following things:
>
> 1. I searched the archives and could find no discussion along those lines.
> 2. I read that discussion and it doesn't appear to me that it reflects
> a rejection of this idea. Instead what people seemed to be saying was
> X.
> 3. At the time that might have been true, but what has changed in the
> meanwhile is X.

Agreed. Perhaps we need an anti-TODO that lists things we don't want in
more detail. The TODO has that for a few items, but scaling things up
there will be cumbersome.

I agree that having the person saying it was rejected find the email
discussion is ideal --- if they can't find it, odds are the patch person
will not be able to find it either.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com