SQL/MED estimated time of arrival?

From: Eric Davies <eric(at)barrodale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL/MED estimated time of arrival?
Date: 2010-11-03 20:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi SQL/MED developers,

Our company has just finished development of a database extension for
Informix that provides tabular access to various types of structured
files (NetCDF and HDF5, with more types to come). We would like to
port this logic to run on PostgreSQL, since many of our potential
customers use PostgreSQL.

On Informix, we were able to take advantage of the VTI (Virtual Table
Interface) feature to support "table" scans and indexing. (See
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/zones/informix/library/techarticle/db_vti.html
.) Do you have any idea of how long it will be before SQL/MED on
PostgreSQL will be available, and perhaps how similar it will be to
Informix VTI?

Thanks,
Eric.

Eric Davies, M.Sc.