BUG #5739: postgresql will not start

From: "Kim Garren" <dedanna(at)bjoernvold(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5739: postgresql will not start
Date: 2010-11-01 19:29:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5739
Logged by: Kim Garren
Email address: dedanna(at)bjoernvold(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1-2
Operating system: Arch Linux
Details:

Received update to postgresql 9.0.1-2 yesterday, and now postgresql won't
start. On boot, I receive the [BUSY] message when it attempts to start, but
never receive the [OK] denoting that it has started.

Once booted, I try to start it manually, with the following result:

# /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
:: Starting PostgreSQL
[BUSY] server starting

[DONE]

To test if it starts, I perform the following, with the results included
here:

# /etc/rc.d/postgresql stop
:: Stopping PostgreSQL
[BUSY] pg_ctl: PID file "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid" does not
exist
Is server running?

[FAIL]

I have done everything I know to no avail; including uninstalling and
re-installing postgresql.

More info can be obtained here in these forum threads:

http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=822

A bug for Arch Linux has been filed; however the issue was determined to be
upstream:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21560

Anything that can shed some light on this situation would be appreciated; I
have lost my music db because of this.

Thank you.