Re: What is better method to backup postgresql DB.

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Steeles <steeles(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is better method to backup postgresql DB.
Date: 2010-10-26 18:33:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> new to postgresql. need to backup postgresql DB, which way is better to
> backup DB.
>
> from training, I learned that we can backup the whole PGdata and other
> directories to achieve backup goal, originally I was planned to schedule
> jobs to use pgdump to backup all DBs.
>
> so which way is better for backup or there is other way to backup PGDB.

Use pg_dump or pg_dumpall. If you're at the level that you have to ask
this question, then you'll have nothing but trouble getting reliable
backups by backing up directories.

Also, since you're new to PostgreSQL, I _HIGHLY_ recommend that you don't
assume that you're getting backups until you can demonstrate that you can
restore them.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com