Re: Range Types, discrete and/or continuous

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types, discrete and/or continuous
Date: 2010-10-25 15:38:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:21:49AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 06:59:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Put me in the camp that says you need both. I really seriously
> >> dislike the idea of representing [1, 2) as [1, 2-epsilon], mainly
> >> because there is often no portable value for epsilon.
> >> Dump-and-restore would be quite hazardous.
>
> > It wouldn't be stored as (1, 2-epsilon). It would be stored more
> > like (1, 2, closed, open).
>
> Fine ...
>
> > If you have a coherent, worked-out theory of continuous ranges,
> > please feel free to develop and publish it just as Snodgrass, et
> > al., have done with discrete ranges, but please *don't* feel free
> > to assume that you can just wave a magic wand and make continuous
> > time ranges "just work" because it pleases you aesthetically.
>
> That is FUD, and nothing more. If you know a concrete reason why
> Postgres shouldn't provide both closed and open ranges, you need to
> explain it, not claim that there might be a reason someplace and
> it's someone else's problem to prove your point for you.

That you're confusing the open/closed ranges with discrete/continuous
tells me that it's *you* who doesn't understand the issues at hand.

If you can present or develop a coherent theory of continuous ranges,
that's great. If you can present or develop a theory that merges that
one with discrete ranges, that's great too. Until then, let's get the
discrete ranges going and disallow ones based on the continuum, i.e.
floats.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!