Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-09-08 20:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 07:24:59PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that the purpose of this patch is to work
> around the brokenness of select() on very few platforms? Or is there any
> additional feature that plain signals don't give us?

If the issue is just that select() doesn't get interrupted and we don't
care about a couple of syscalls, would it not be better to simply use
sigaction to turn on SA_RESTART just prior to the select() and turn it
off just after. Or are these systems so broken that select() won't be
interrupted, even if the signal handler is explicitly configured to do
so?

Have a nice day,