Re: Backups from the standby (Incrementally Updated Backups), open item

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backups from the standby (Incrementally Updated Backups), open item
Date: 2010-08-24 19:07:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I've been looking at the open item which belongs with this doc:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup-incremental-updated.html
> >
> > ... and my viewpoint is that the procedure described should be *cut*
> > from the official docs and put on the Wiki, with warnings. It's simply
> > far too hackish and dependant on DBA understanding of PostgreSQL
> > internals to belong in the main docs.
> >
> > In 9.1 we'll probably have some machinery to make taking snapshots of
> > the standby more reliable (like running pg_start_backup on the master),
> > and then that procedure will belong in the main docs.
>
> FYI, I am working on a doc update that will use pg_start/stop backup on
> the master, as suggested by Fujii Masao:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-08/msg00237.php

I have created a doc patch (attached) to document a clean way to take a
backup of the standby. This can be used for pitr, and to create
additional slaves, so I do think this will be used more during 9.0. You
can see the output here:

http://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/backup-incremental-updated.html

The actual list of steps only appeared in 9.0 so I suggest this only be
applied to HEAD and 9.0.X.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/pgpatches/increment text/x-diff 5.6 KB