BUG #5587: Installer non-default file association problem

From: "Mike Parfitt" <m_parfitt(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5587: Installer non-default file association problem
Date: 2010-08-01 19:39:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5587
Logged by: Mike Parfitt
Email address: m_parfitt(at)hotmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.4.1
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
Details:

When the installer halts showing "Initialising the database cluster (this
may take a few minutes)" message it may be because that PC has a non-default
.bat file association.

In my case, I used Process Explorer and looked at the other processes it had
spawned :-

postgresql-8.4.4-1-windows.exe
cscript.exe
UEDIT32.exe

UEDIT32.EXE (UltraEdit) is my text editor of choice.

Either the installer should test whether the .bat file association is going
to start the right program, or the right program should be included in the
parameter passed to the .Run function.