Re: SHOW TABLES

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-19 14:52:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Kevin Grittner (Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov) wrote:
> I know, though, that the JDBC spec supports such things -- you can
> keep pulling ResultSet objects off the wire, each with its own
> distinct set of columns. (That is, each ResultSet has its own
> ResultSetMetaData which specifies how many columns that particular
> ResultSet has, what the column names are, what the data type is for
> each column, etc. Each ResultSet returned from a response stream
> for a request can be entirely different in all of these
> characteristics.)

I'm pretty sure we don't have the ability to support that at either the
libpq or the protocol level today, but in general I do think it's a good
idea and would be good to support. To be honest, I seem to recall
someone talking about working on it (or perhaps it's on the TODO?). In
any case, long way there from here.

Thanks,

Stephen