Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 21:38:00
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 16:47 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>
> > 1. The download page has three links to yum.pgsqlrpms.org. Two of
> > those links have a look and feel that is similar to postgresql.org.
> > The other one redirects to a commandprompt.com web site with a
> > completely different look and feel, which asks you to click through to
> > another commandprompt.com web site with a third look and feel. There
> > should really be just one look and feel here, not three (and useless
> > click-through manual redirects).
>
> This is the case with both the main external projects for downloads (see
> the one click installer for example)
>

> > 2. https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki (which is
> > where you eventually get from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/)
>
> This has been fixed. If you go to yum.pgsqlrpms.org it takes you
> directly to the project page now.

Well, it does that now, but it didn't do that 8 hours ago when I was
re-reporing this problem.

> > http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/letter_p.group.html which
> > claims to be specifically 9.0 packages.
>
> What? Oh I see this:
>
> pgdg-centos - PostgreSQL 9.0.X PGDG RPMs for CentOS - Yum Repository
>
> I will see about getting the 9.0.X removed from that.

Again, something I reported weeks ago.

> > Only after clicking into one
> > of these packages do you realize that older versions are also
> > available.
>
> That isn't true, the list is right there on the page and is explained on
> the Configure_Yum page.

A link that says 9.0.X makes you think the link is only for 9.0 stuff.
How could you intepret it any other way?

Again, this just points out that you have to jump through 10 hoops to
prove there is something that can be improved about the Command Prompt
RPM site --- a major waste of time, and a good reason to look for
alternatives.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com