Re: Japanese 9.0 beta docs

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com, guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, fwif0083(at)mb(dot)infoweb(dot)ne(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Japanese 9.0 beta docs
Date: 2010-06-16 01:19:37
Lists: pgsql-www

> Thom Brown wrote:
> > On 15 June 2010 13:33, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> >
> > > Le 15/06/2010 14:17, Thom Brown a ?crit :

> > > Wow, they have translations of the manuals since 6.3.2. I'm definitely
> > > impressed. I've never even used 6.3.

> > > AFAICT, no translated manuals are available for 9.0 yet. The french one
> > > is still under hard work, for example.
> > >

> > Ah, okay. It's a shame that it's more difficult to beta test for Japanese
> > folk... unless they happen to understand English anyway.
>
> The Japanese might be delaying the translation until the docs become
> more stable.

Actually 9.0 Japanese translation work has already started. Since the
repository is not open to public, I cannot check the progress
though. Also the reason why Japanese docs for beta version is not
provided is due to their policy, not due to the limitation of
available resource.

Usually Japanese docs are not so behind the PostgreSQL official
release(thanks to Honda for his great work!). I see 2 to 13 days delay
recently, depending on the volunteers' spare time. This suggests that
if we could cordinate the PostgreSQL official release timing and the
doc translation work, we might be able to release PostgreSQL and
Japanese docs at the same time. This has been already done for RPM
packagers. I don't see paticular reason for not doing this for this
case.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan