Re: [BUGS] BUG #5487: dblink failed with 63 bytes connection names

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5487: dblink failed with 63 bytes connection names
Date: 2010-06-02 06:46:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hmm, seems that dblink should call truncate_identifier() for the
> truncation, to be consistent with truncation of table names etc.

Hmmm, we need the same routine with truncate_identifier(), but we hard
to use the function because it modifies the input buffer directly.
Since all of the name strings in dblink is const char *, I added
a bit modified version of the function as truncate_identifier_copy()
in the attached v2 patch.

> I also spotted this in dblink.c:
>
> > /* first gather the server connstr options */
> > if (strlen(servername) < NAMEDATALEN)
> > foreign_server = GetForeignServerByName(servername, true);
>
> I think that's wrong. We normally consistently truncate identifiers at
> creation and at use, so that if you create an object with a very long
> name and it's truncated, you can still refer to it with the untruncated
> name because all such references are truncated too.

Absolutely. I re-use the added function for the fix.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
dblink_63bytes-2010602.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB