Re: pginstaller policy?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pginstaller policy?
Date: 2010-05-28 16:43:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jan-Peter Seifert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder whether pginstaller is still being maintained for 8.3 and 8.2, because there are no binaries for the current minor versions yet and because of this comment from January 10ths newsletter:
>
> ---------------------------
> In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml, update Windows installation
> notes. pginstaller isn't used anymore, in favor of the one-click
> installers. Make it clear that we support Windows 2000 and newer
> with the native port, instead of first saying we support NT4 and
> then saying we don't.
> ---------------------------
>
> The web page ( http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows ) does not say that pginstaller is suspended (yet).
>
> It's just that - as far as I know - the clusters initialized by the one-click installer and pginstaller are incompatible with each other (timestamp). So a whole pg_dump/pg_restore session for each 'pginstaller' server would be necessary in order to update to a newer 'one-click only' minor version ...
>
> So ... is pginstaller dead or just delayed this time?
>
> Could you tell me, please?

I talked to Dave Page and it seems the pginstaller (non-bitRock) Win32
installers were _not_ moved from their beta holding area to the download
section.

They have just been moved and the URLs are now:

ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.3.11/win32/
ftp://developer.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.17/win32/

They will propogate to the main download pages in 24 hours.

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the problem.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com