Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date: 2010-05-10 15:07:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> Wultsch (who doesn't ever want to kill queries and therefore would be
> happy with a boolean), Yeb Havinga (who never wants to stall recovery
> and therefore would also be happy with a boolean), and Florian Pflug
> (who points out that pause/resume is actually a nontrivial feature).
> Apologies if I've left anyone out or misrepresented their position.
>
> Overall I would say opinion is about evenly split between:
>
> - leave it as-is
> - make it a Boolean
> - change it in some way but to something more expressive than a Boolean
>
> I can't presume to extract a consensus from that; I don't think there
> is one. You could say "the majority of people want to change
> something" and that would be true; you could also say "the majority of
> people don't want a Boolean" and that would also be true.

Yep, this is where we are. Discussion had stopped, so it seemed like
time for a decision, and with no one agreeing on what to do, feature
removal seemed like the best approach. Suggesting we will fix it later
in beta is not a solution.

Now, if everyone agrees we should do X, and X in simple, lets do X, but
I am stil not seeing that.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com