Re: Inheritance efficiency

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inheritance efficiency
Date: 2010-04-30 14:30:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:44:26AM +0200, Vincenzo Romano wrote:

> >> The enterprise grade version of PostgreSQL is the community
> >> version.
> >>
> >> Proprietary forks exist, but they don't fix this kind of problem.
> >> :)
> >
> > Hmmm ... I think this is the kind of problems that keeps
> > PostgreSQL away from the "enterprise grade" world. The ability to
> > cope with thousands of DB objects like (child-)tables, indexes,
> > functions and so on with O(1) or at least O(log(n))  complexity is
> > among the key points.
> >
> > For example, the Linux kernel made the big jump with server
> > hardware thanks also to the O(1) schedulers.
> >
> > In this specific case, if you think about "inheritance for
> > partitioning" and you stick with the example idea of "one
> > partition per month", then the current solution is more than OK.
> > In the real world, that is not really the general case, especially
> > in the "enterprise grade" world, where maybe you partition with
> > both a time stamp and another column, like product code ranges and
> > prefixes ...
> >
> > Is there any planning about this improvement?
>
> Could it be possible to just make some changes (adding indexes) to
> the information schema to gain this enterprise gradeness?

Your assertion that PostgreSQL is not "enterprise grade" is simply
false. For years, it has been and continues to be used as the basis
of extremely large mission-critical systems.

That said, if you wish to make changes, or propose that some be made,
please feel free to do so after 9.0 comes out.

In the mean time, please test 9.0beta1 along with any ensuing betas
and release candidates, and report back the results of the
aforementioned testing.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!