Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?
Date: 2010-04-30 14:17:19
Lists: pgsql-general
Greg Smith wrote:
> Piotr Kublicki wrote:
> > We're thinking about installing Postgres on a virtual machine (RedHat 5
> > 64-bits), however not sure how many CPUs can be wisely assigned, without
> > wasting of resources.
>
> The database will use as many cores as you have available, so long as
> you have multiple simultaneous queries to keep each of them busy--no
> single query will use more than one core.  In practice, on a VM install
> you may discover you're limited by either I/O rate or VM overhead long
> before you reach the scalability limits of the database though.

I thought we had an FAQ item on this topic, but it seems it was removed
or was never there.  :-(

I have added one:

	http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#How_does_PostgreSQL_use_CPU_resources.3F

I also added information to the FAQ about focusing on I/O and memory
issues before CPU:

	http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#What_computer_hardware_should_I_use.3F