Re: PostgreSQL with SSL

From: "Martin Münstermann" <mmuenst(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, joseberardo(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with SSL
Date: 2010-04-15 07:45:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello.

> > don't know how to export the private key and when I use the keytool
> > certificate, the server crashes with this message:
> >
> > FATAL: could not load server certificate file "server.crt": no start
> line
> >
> > Sorry about too many questions, but anyone can help me to understand
> more
> > about ssl in PostgreSQL?
>
> Have you read the documentation about creating a server key?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/ssl-tcp.html

It is important that the server.crt and server.key files are in so-called PEM format.
So they have to be text files and look like:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
<some base64 encoded data>
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

and

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
<some base64 encoded data>
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

This is the default format produced by openssl.
The private key format is also openssl-specific, so probably you are out of luck with keytool.

Regards,
Martin