Re: Streaming replication status

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication status
Date: 2010-03-22 22:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 17:33 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
> > I added two new functions;
> >
> > (1) pg_last_xlog_receive_location() reports the last WAL location received
> > and synced by walreceiver. If streaming replication is still in progress
> > this will increase monotonically. If streaming replication has completed
> > then this value will remain static at the value of the last WAL record
> > received and synced. When the server has been started without a streaming
> > replication then the return value will be InvalidXLogRecPtr (0/0).
> >
> > (2) pg_last_xlog_replay_location() reports the last WAL location replayed
> > during recovery. If recovery is still in progress this will increase
> > monotonically. If recovery has completed then this value will remain
> > static at the value of the last WAL record applied. When the server has
> > been started normally without a recovery then the return value will be
> > InvalidXLogRecPtr (0/0).
>
> I just noticed that these functions have almost the same name as
> functions I wrote for Hot Standby and Heikki removed from that patch.
> The function code and docs are 99% identical.
>
> I'm happy that the code was used and it is BSD, though it does seem
> strange to have this credited to others in the release notes.

Sorry, release notes updated:

Add <link
linkend="functions-recovery-info-table"><function>pg_last_xlog_receive_location()</></link>
and <function>pg_last_xlog_replay_location()</>, which
can be used to monitor standby server <acronym>WAL</>
activity (Simon)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do