Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pre-7.4 documentaiton mentions, now that 8.0 is the oldest

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pre-7.4 documentaiton mentions, now that 8.0 is the oldest
Date: 2010-02-24 15:54:43
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > Yea, let me try again and rephrase some of it to highlight the behavior
> > and not the version change.
>
> Well the behaviour changed with a given version which is crucial
> information for somebody doing a migration... It is also useful
> historical information for people reading the manual - it is not
> impossible that this could effect on the application design...
>

> >> I also agree with the objection that there are still lots of people who
> >> are going to be trying to port old apps to 9.0.
> >
> > Well, I stand by my statement that it is a judgement call on how much we
> > keep, and there is a cost to readers to keep it, but there isn't very
> > much of it. Are the people who wanted more aggressive removal OK with
> > putting back the pre-7.4 documentation mentions?
>

> Who actually are those people? I don't recall anybody complaining that
> we have too much information in our docs (maybe that they wnat better
> search or a better structure).

Well, by that argument, should we have Postgres 6.3 information in our
documentation? I doubt anyone would explicitly complain about it, but
it would serve very little useful purpose and make our documentation
harder to read.

I don't really care if we remove the old stuff or not --- removing it,
or at least reviewing possible removal stuff, is a standard practice for
every major relesae, so I did it. If people want nothing removed, that
is fine with me.

In fact, I have heard enough complaints. I am reversing my removals and
if someone else wants to do the job, go ahead.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do