Re: Confusion over Python drivers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-05 20:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Marko Kreen wrote:
> Psycopg was the leader, especially in web-environments,
> but it has non-obvious license and with dead website it does not
> seem that attractive.  Although it is well-maintained still.
>
> Best path forward would be to talk with Psycopg guys about
> license clarification/change.
>
> I suspect GPL does not extend anyway to Python code that imports
> it dynamically, and it does not seem to be their intention - they
> even try to tell it in their current clarification, but it
> is not as clear as it could be.

Yes, this is a good analysis and has some good suggestions for moving
forward.  In summary, I don't think the current PG/Python driver
situation is helping PG or Python, and I believe there are enough people
who care about those two to get a group together to sort out a viable
direction and start working toward the goal of improving things.