Re: Why lots of temp schemas are being created

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Walter Coole <WCoole(at)aperiogroup(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anirban Pal <anirban(dot)pal(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why lots of temp schemas are being created
Date: 2010-02-03 23:36:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Walter Coole escribió:

> I would like to drop them, since there are so many of them, they make
> it tedious to look through my databases in pgAdmin. Is there a
> reliable way to distinguish between temp schemas that exist because
> they are supposed to be there and those that are not?

Run pg_get_backend_idset() (or something like that, maybe there's "stat"
in the name), which returns a list of backend IDs that are running.
Then see which temp schemas have numbers beyond what's listed there;
those shouldn't be there and could cause problems if the numbers are too
high.

> Or even better, a way to tell the database to clean them up itself?

It does, unless one of them gets a very high backend ID that's not
reused.