Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Date: 2010-01-08 00:41:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Josh Berkus (josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com) wrote:
> What I'm getting from your e-mail, Dave, is "If it doesn't solve all
> problems for everyone in the world from Day 1, it's not worth doing."
> It's my experience that the way to get OSS software that works is to
> build a little bit at a time, each delivery of which is useful to some
> people and solves some problems. Projects which attempt to paint the
> whole world never get anywhere.

+1 from me. I was just discussing this with some other folks at my
company and had to make the point that if all you do is show the CEO a
big fat $ figure, he's gonna say no. If you actually want to make it
happen, you have to show a progression to get there from where we are
today, with the incremental costs required along the way and the
functionality that you get for that.

> David's proposal is designed to be something which he can get done *this
> year*, possibly before 8.5 is released, and be built on later. It'll be
> useful to a substantial number of our users, and will be an improvement
> on what we have now.

Sounds excellent to me.

Thanks,

Stephen