Re: pg_migrator issues

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issues
Date: 2010-01-05 21:00:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > pg_migrator has become more popular recently, so it seems time to look
> > at some enhancements that would improve pg_migrator. None of these are
> > required, but rather changes that would be nice to have:
> >
> > 1) Right now pg_migrator preserves relfilenodes for TOAST files because
> > this is required for proper migration. Now that we have shown that
> > strategically-placed global variables with a server-side function to set
> > them is a viable solution, it would be nice to preserve all relfilenodes
> > from the old server. This would simplify pg_migrator by no long
> > requiring place-holder relfilenodes or the renaming of TOAST files. A
> > simpler solution would just be to allow TOAST table creation to
> > automatically remove placeholder files and create specified relfilenodes
> > via global variables.
>
> Getting rid of the need for placeholders is a good idea. +1 on getting
> TOAST tables created with the correct relfilenode from the start. I
> don't know that preserving any other relfilenode is useful; however if
> it means you no longer have to rename the files underlying each table,

--> > it would probably also be a good idea. (I don't know how does
--> > pg_migrator deal with such things currently -- does it keep a map of
--> > table name to relfilenode?)

Yes, and it will still need that because we don't want to transfer over
any of the system tables or pg_catalog files.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com