Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date: 2010-01-04 16:55:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Right. Which is why I like the idea of disabling the OOM killer for
> the *postmaster*, but not the regular backends. Gives it a chance to
> recover. It's not nice, but it's better than nothing.

It doesn't sound like the init script can reenable the killer for the
child processes though. So, if there's anything that the core code
ought to do, is re-enable OOM-killer for postmaster children, after
being disabled by the initscript.

BTW, is it possible for pg_ctl to disable OOM-killer? I guess not,
since it's not run by root ...

Is there a way to disable memory overcommit for particular processes?
That would be very useful -- just disable overcommit for all Postgres
processes, and there shouldn't be much need to enable the killer for
backends.