Re: LIKE INCLUDING COMMENTS code is a flight of fancy

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: LIKE INCLUDING COMMENTS code is a flight of fancy
Date: 2009-12-22 04:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suggest that we might want to just
> rip out the support for copying comments on indexes. Or maybe even the
> whole copy-comments aspect of it.

We have two related ToDo items below. They are a bit inconsintent,
but they mean we should forbid COMMENT on columns of an index,
or must have full-support of the feature.

Which direction should we go? As for me, forbidding comments on index
columns seems to be a saner way because index can have arbitrary key
names in some cases.

- Forbid COMMENT on columns of an index
Postgres currently allows comments to be placed on the columns of
an index, but pg_dump doesn't handle them and the column names
themselves are implementation-dependent.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/27676.1237906577@sss.pgh.pa.us

- pg_dump / pg_restore: Add dumping of comments on index columns and
composite type columns
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-03/msg00931.php
(XXX: Comments on composite type columns can work now?)

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center