Re: An example of bugs for Hot Standby

From: Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada(at)kokolink(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: An example of bugs for Hot Standby
Date: 2009-12-18 11:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>This way we only cancel direct deadlocks.
>
>It doesn't solve general problem of buffer waits, but they may be
>solvable by different mechanism.

Following question may be redundant. Just a confirmation.

Deadlock example is catstrophic while it's rather a rare event.
On the other hand, LockBufferForCleanup() can cause another
problem.

* One idle pin-holder backend can freeze startup process().

This problem is not catstrophic, but it seems a similar problem
which StandbyAcquireAccessExclusiveLock() tries to avoid.

...Is this the problem you call "general problem" above ?

regards,

--
Hiroyuki YAMADA
Kokolink Corporation