Re: Row-Level Security

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row-Level Security
Date: 2009-12-14 13:47:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai,

* KaiGai Kohei (kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp) wrote:
> The reason why I put on the security hook in ExecScan() is to avoid the
> problem that row-cost user defined function can be evaluated earlier
> than row-level security policy. (I believed it was a well-known problem
> at that time yet.) So, I didn't want to append it before optimization.

This is a problem which needs to be addressed and fixed independently.

> I also believe this matter should be resolved when we provide row-level
> security stuff, because it is a security feature.

This issue should be fixed first, not as part of some large-scale patch.

If you have thoughts or ideas about how to address this problem as it
relates to views, I think you would find alot of people willing to
listen and to discuss it. This must be independent of SELinux,
independent of row-level security, and isn't something based on any of
the patches which have been submitted so far. None of them that I've
seen resolve this problem in a way that the community is willing to
accept.

Thanks,

Stephen