Re: Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs
Date: 2009-10-28 22:18:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Le mercredi 28 octobre 2009 à 15:13:06, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/10/28 Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>:
> >> Entirely new features are easier to deal with though. I still would,
> >> however, want something like a detailed version of Josh's post which
> >> breaks down where the changes have occurred. It seems quite scattered
> >> and unclear at the moment.
> >>
> >> Thom
> >
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-5.html
>
> Thanks Adrian. I just wasn't looking hard enough obviously :) That
> list still doesn't appear to be explicit enough though as we have
> "Multiple improvements in contrib/hstore, including raising limits on
> keys and values". What exactly is meant by limit, what was this limit
> before and what has it been raised to?
>
> Similarly: "Fix encoding handling in binary input function of xml
> type." What was the problem before?
>
> And: "Allow the collection of statistics on sequences". How would
> your average end-user see whether these statistics are being colelcted
> on sequences? And are these statistics actually used anywhere yet?
>
> I'm not really asking for the answer to those questions. I'm pointing
> out that it isn't clear (at least to me) how to determine what exactly
> has been fixed in order to test it. This doesn't apply to everything
> listed as some of it is quite clear, like "pg_dump/pg_restore --clean
> now drops large objects."

You're completely right. But release notes never intended to be this. What you
need is more a "visual" tour, and I don't think anyone did write such a thing
for any PostgreSQL releases (but I may be proven wrong). I wrote something
like this in french for 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4. The last two were even published in
a french Linux magazine. I suppose other people from other countries do the
same. The advocacy group would do a good thing if it starts working on this
kind of document. I could probably work on this too.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org