syntax of \copy

From: richard terry <rterry(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: syntax of \copy
Date: 2009-10-07 21:39:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm trying at the command line (linux) to import a csv file with this sort of
format

"A", "name","etc","1"

If I simply eliminate the quotes in a text editor, replace the commas with |
then this snytax works

If I have a file say import.sql containing this line:

\copy schema.tablename from '/tmp/myfile.CSV' delimiter ',' NULL AS ''

and at the command line type:

psql mydb -f import.sql

then it works fine.

But I want to be able to just use the file 'as is', ie with its quotes so I
don't have to manually do a global replace.

I've pored over the docs but always find it difficult to interpret them, it
mentions a CSV mode but I can't figure out how to use it.

The internet is equally unrewarding as whilst there are trillions of
references as to \copy etc, no-one seems to give a concrete example when
importing a csv file that has been exported with quotes,

Any help appreciated

Richard