Re: Concurrency testing

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-07 16:53:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:17:52AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As we move forward, we run into increasingly complex situations under
> the general rubric of concurrency.
>
> What test frameworks are already out there that we can use in our
> regression test suite? If there aren't any, how might we build one?

Apparently, this wasn't as crystal clear as I thought. Let's imagine
you want to test some odd combination of transactions:

T1: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION SERIALIZABLE;
T1: SELECT...FOR UPDATE...;
T2: UPDATE...
T3: COPY...
T1: ...

At the moment, we have no way to test this, although with certain Perl
modules, it would be pretty trivial.

I seem to recall that there were some patches to get psql to help with
such things, but they didn't go in. Time to revive them?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!