Re: syslog_line_prefix

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: syslog_line_prefix
Date: 2009-09-25 20:58:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:19:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> However, I don't think I actually believe the premise of this patch,
> which is that sending log information to both stderr and syslog is
> a useful thing to do

Actually the thing I want is to be able to send some stuff to syslog, and some
to a file, and other stuff to another file. This patch doesn't do all that,
but lays the necessary groundwork.

For instance, the various applications that parse query output all require
specific log line formats and various other configurations to be able to
understand our logs, and even then still have problems dealing with multi-line
entries. This is a pain. Such applications should be able to have their own
machine-readable logs, like csvlog. Unfortunately csvlogs are almost entirely
unreadable by humans, so I'd also like to have a human readable log somewhere.
These two logs need not necessarily contain the same information.

Loads of people seem to want to be able to have separate per-database log
files, which something like this could also allow.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation