Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
Date: 2009-09-25 20:23:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas escribió:

> $ With that, it's no longer necessary to restart your server just to
> $ reconfigure the logging, and it also takes away a confusing parameter
> $ (really "log_destination=stderr, logging_collector=on" is *not* a logical
> $ way to say "log to file"). Instead, it adds a log_destination of "file" that
> $ is the standard log to file."
>
> Do we have any positive or negative experience with logging_collector
> as a performance bottleneck? Are there people running with
> logging_collector=off to avert disaster?

The collector can be a bottleneck, yes, but for this to happen it needs
to be in active use. So if the collector is always running but the
messages are being sent to syslog, no harm is done.

(A customer of ours found the hard way that the collector can block
backends when things are tight. They have since switched to syslog.)