Re: mail alert

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mail alert
Date: 2009-08-13 23:30:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 6:27:25 am Jan Verheyden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a bit stuck...
> I was looking for a solution for option a)
>
> Maybe I'll first explain the situation a bit more:
>
> I have one database for patient registration
> Another one for image storage
> And a third one for book keeping
> A patient should be registered first before the images are stored, so if
> there is a new line in the second database with an id which does not exist
> yet, it has to be notified in the book keeping database.
>
> Now the questions:
> 1) Can I do this with the inner join (tables subject_id from DB1, pat_id
> from DB2), there it is two different databases 2) Once it is notified in
> the book keeping that is not registered yet, is it best to poll on this
> column to send a warning, or use a trigger??
>
> Thanks!!

If at all possible, try to move all that information into schema's of one
database. As it stands now you have a lot of moving parts to keep track of via
external processes. It is possible but you lose transactional support and trust
me that turns into a royal pain.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net