Re: Controlling proliferation of postgres.exe processes

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Radcon Entec <radconentec(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Controlling proliferation of postgres.exe processes
Date: 2009-06-23 20:59:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> Greetings!
>
> At the current moment, our customer's computer has 22 instances of postgres.exe running.  When a colleague checked a few minutes ago, there were 29.  Our contract specifies that we cannot consume more than 40% of the computer's memory, and we're over that level.  When does an instance of postgres.exe get created, and how can we make sure we create only the minimum number necessary?

Each connection gets a dedicated process. If you need to control the
max # of processes, adjust the max_connections parameter in
postgresql.conf

Note that there are a few processes that run independently (such as
the stats collecter), so the actual # of process will be max_connections
plus a few (the exact # depends on config options, but usually 3 or so)

However, since memory is your problems and not # of processes, you may
want to look at other parameters in postgresql.conf related to memory
usage. I'm not familiar with the use of PostgreSQL on Windows, so I can't
offer much advice there.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com