Re: Amazon EC2 | Any recent developments

From: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
To: Just Someone <just(dot)some(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Amazon EC2 | Any recent developments
Date: 2009-06-16 15:25:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:53:00PM -0700, Just Someone wrote:
- Hi,
-
- I've seen both - some unknown reason for it to die (mostly related to
- the underlying hardware having issues). We also see instance failure
- from time to time with advanced notice. Just like a regular machine
- dies from time to time, so do cloud instances. I'd say it's bit more
- common on the cloud, but not by a big margin. I might see it more
- because I have hundreds of instances running.

Hi Guy,

Thanks!

So, when a cloud machine fails does it get de-allocated/wiped out? or
does it is it still out there in a bad state? how do you recover your
data?

For example, in a physical system if the RAM goes bad the machine
crashes but you replace the chip, boot, perform instance recovery and
continue on with your life...

Thanks

Dave