Two Questions Re: Warm Backup

From: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)chosen-ones(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Two Questions Re: Warm Backup
Date: 2009-04-29 16:46:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings:

We are researching implementing a warm backup solution for our existing
databases. We have a two node cluster running RH which are connected to a
SAN. There is a total of 11 database clusters with the two node linux cluster
balancing the load. At the moment, we are not doing any WAL archiving.
exp=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-14)
(1 row)

Q1: Can we set up a scenario where there is more that one warm standby? I want
a warm standby locally and one that is hundreds of miles away connected with
a T4 data circuit.

Q2: Am I correct in assuming that ALL changes to any of the production schema
will be written to the warm standby? For example, if I drop a constraint in
production I assume the same will occur on the warm standby. If I create and
drop a table in production, I assume it will occur on the warm standby.

TIA