Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4027: backslash escaping notdisabled inplpgsql

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Jonathan Guthrie <jguthrie(at)brokersys(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4027: backslash escaping notdisabled inplpgsql
Date: 2009-04-10 19:42:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> writes:
> > Let me ask this -- If we were to change the plpgsql parser to pay
> > attention to the GUC, it couldn't break anything for any environment
> > which always has the GUC 'off', could it?
>
> Right, because the behavior wouldn't actually change.
>
> I'm starting to lean in the same direction --- the current plpgsql
> behavior with the GUC 'on' is sufficiently broken that it seems unlikely
> anyone is doing much with plpgsql and that setting.
>
> It still remains that actually flipping the default would probably
> provoke lots of breakage, but plpgsql's current behavior doesn't
> help that.

It would be nice to know if we are ever going to set
standard_conforming_strings to on. If not, we can remove the TODO item.
The bigger question is if we aren't going to turn it on was there any
value to setting escape_string_warning to on in 8.2? We required a lot
of users to prefix their strings with 'E'.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com